Substitute Teacher Employment

Earn up to $180/day!


  • Bachelor’s Degree
  • Application Processing (ISBE)
  • Background Check (South Cook)

*** If you hold a PEL (Professional Educator License) OR a Paraprofessional License and a Bachelors degree, you do not need a separate substitute license. You will only need to complete PART 2 of the instruction sheet.

Section 10-21.9 of Illinois School Code requires all applicants for employment with a school district including persons or firms holding contracts with the district that have direct daily contact with the pupils of any district school, to authorize a fingerprint- based criminal history and criminal database check to determine if the applicant has been convicted of certain enumerated offenses. A school board shall not knowingly employ a person for whom a criminal background investigation has not been initiated.

South Cook ISC can assist those individuals wishing to become substitute teachers. The process of becoming a substitute teacher is a two part process. Part 1 entails obtaining a substitute license; Part2 entails completing the mandated background checks and providing the appropriate health/physical examination results. To become a substitute teacher, please follow the steps outlined below:

Part I

  1. Obtain an ELIS account and apply for a Substitute teaching license ASNET/login.aspx
  2. Submit official, sealed transcript(s) from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning that show a bachelor's degree has been conferred. NOTE: To be official, transcripts must be submitted in the sealed envelope from the college or university or be sent directly by the institution. Transcripts received that are not in a sealed envelope from the university or are not sent directly from the university will be considered unofficial and cannot be used for evaluation purposes. Electronic transcripts may be submitted to
  3. Register your license through your ELIS account ASNET/login.aspx
  4. The cost to apply for the license is $160. The Application fee of $100 is required at the time of application and a Registration fee of $50 is required upon receipt of the license. All payments are made electronically with a credit card and there is a processing fee. Submit the above documents to:
    South Cook ISC Attn: Licensure 253 West Joe Orr Rd. Chicago Heights, IL 60411 708-754-6600 (phone) 708-754-8687 (fax)

After you have followed the steps above to apply for the license, you must complete the second part of the process before your certification is complete.

Part 2

It is the responsibility of the applicant to complete the following steps and to pay any applicable costs associated with them.

  1. Each applicant agrees to a fingerprinting and background check to be performed at South Cook ISC; please call 708-754-6600 to schedule an appointment. Please arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment time, as you will need to complete an authorization and release form for your background check so that the results can be forwarded to any district to which you apply. You will be required to show a valid, government issued ID (e.g., Driver’s License, State ID). The cost of the fingerprinting and background check is $55, payable to South Cook ISC. A money order or cashier's check is the only form of acceptable payment. Payment is due at the time of your appointment A personal check or cash will NOT be accepted.
  2. Submit evidence of physical fitness and freedom from communicable disease. Your physical examination may be completed at a location of your choice and must have been completed within the last 90 days; however, you must provide the documentation to South Cook ISC to be maintained in your educator file.

After you have completed Part 1 and Part 2, and we have completed a positive review of your criminal background check, and physical examination, you will be issued a Certificate of Authorization that will enable you to pursue employment in any of the districts included in the South Cook ISC (Region 7) territory.

For a list of South Cook ISC (Region 07) districts, please visit

Certification Hours: Monday: 1:oo-8:oopm, Tuesday-Friday 8:30- 3:30pm.

Once you have received the Substitute Teacher Authorization Letter for Region 7 please contact or call 708-952-4290 for any questions, and apply for a substitute teaching position on our website.



Applicants need 1 of the 4 options below to qualify for the Paraprofessional Certification. The complete application process is done on the Illinois State Board of Education Website.

  • Associate or Higher Degree
  • 60 College Semester Hrs.
  • ETS Paraprofessional Assessment with an official score report of 460 or higher
  • ACT WorkKeys Assessment with the following scores:
    • Applied Math – 4
    • Reading for Information – 4
    • Writing/Business Writing – 3

If you have any questions or would like more information please go to this link and watch the how-to-videos:

If you qualify for a Paraprofessional license

Create an Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS) account and complete the application for your Paraprofessional Certificate. 

For additional information about applying for the license please take a look at the how-to-videos posted at:

Once you have completed the above requirements, you will also need to apply with the links posted above. Please contact the D123 substitute coordinator via e-mail or call 708-952-4290 for any questions and to complete the process of becoming an Oak Lawn-Hometown School District 123 paraprofessional.

This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.