With the cold weather months here, please find information on the District 123 weather-related school closing information below.
The community should assume that in-person learning is in session on normal schedules unless otherwise notified.
District 123’s remote learning plan allows instruction to continue, even if buildings are not able to open due to inclement weather. If the District implements a remote learning day due to inclement weather, we will notify staff, families and the community in a timely manner. However, there may be instances when a weather-related closure is called and there is not enough time to prepare for an eLearning day. In this case, an extra day will be added to the end of the school year as was done in the past.
How does District 123 decide whether to cancel school?
District 123’s superintendent consults with some or all of the following institutions and individuals including other local superintendents, the bus company and the police department.
The decision to close school is based on many factors:
- Weather Conditions and Forecasts: We receive information regarding weather conditions from various sources weather information including the National Weather Service. Weather is dynamic, and no forecast is ever perfect. Subtle changes in the temperature at 4:00 am can result in dramatic changes in road conditions by 8:00 am. To this end, we work hard to gather the best available and most accurate information possible.
- Building conditions: Do the buildings have power, light and heat?
- Site conditions: Is the parking lot plowed? Can buses get in and turn around? Can parents drop off students? Are the exit doors free of snow?
- Bus operations: Can the bus drivers get to the bus company? Do the buses start? Do the drivers feel comfortable driving in the given conditions?
- Road conditions: Are the roads continually plowed and is traffic moving?
- Air temperature: How cold is it? What is the wind chill? Can children safely walk to school?
UPDATE EMAIL & PHONE NUMBERS IN SKYWARD
Every attempt will be made to make the closing announcement by 6:30 a.m. through the following:
- Information is posted first on the district’s website at d123.org
- District 123 Facebook
- District 123 Twitter
- A SchoolMessenger automated phone call to parents/guardians
- Emergency Closing Center’s website
- Local television and radio stations
District 123 will only announce when schools are closed or will be delaying start of school.
If schools are not closed, it is ultimately the responsibility of parents and guardians to decide if conditions safely allow for their children to attend school. If District 123 schools are open, and children are kept home due to weather conditions, please follow the normal procedures for reporting your child’s absence.
Make sure your information is up-to-date in Skylert
The district needs your correct contact information so please take a moment and check your phone number and email address in Skyward Family Access. Having the most accurate information for you and your family will allow us to contact you in the most timely manner.