The Oak Lawn-Hometown PTA District Council is proud to announce the four $1,000.00 Helen Whalen scholarship winners for 2022. Four very deserving District 123 alumni received the Helen Whalen Higher Education Scholarship Award. Recently the winners of the scholarship were highlighted at a District 123 school board meeting.
The qualifications for applying for this scholarship are graduating seniors who:
- Attended an elementary school in District 123 for at least four (4) years.
- Are in the upper 25% of their class
- Plan to attend an accredited institution of higher education
The committee also considers these factors important in judging the applications and selecting the winners:
- Is a graduating high school senior
- Ranks in the upper 50% of their graduating class at the end of the first semester of senior year
- Plans to attend a community college, university or trades school
- Has attended at least four school years in a District 123 school system.
This year the PTA Council received many applications from high school seniors. Each student is required to list their honors, positions of leadership, and volunteer work that they have held throughout high school years. GPA and ACT/SAT scores are also factors as well as writing an essay that was graded by a panel of six unbiased judges. The scores were averaged and the highest scoring applications were from Yusra Abdelrahman, Camille Listowski, Molly Sheahan, and Donald Taylor.
The Helen Whalen Higher Education Scholarship has been a part of the District 123 PTA for decades. It is given in honor of a Hometown PTA president that went on to become state District PTA president and School Board president, Helen Whalen.
Helen Whalen Scholarship Winners